Thursday, December 16, 2010

One Semester Down



Well, I'm looking in the rear view mirror back at my first semester of post-secondary education and it was a wild ride. I finished a cd, threw some release parties, celebrated two and a half years with Amanda, nailed my midterms, discovered the parts of me that need to change, failed as often as I succeeded, struggled with pride and jealousy and learned that I have a long way to go and a lot to take in. So far so good. I just finished my last exam this morning and they didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but my circumstances weren't ideal.
For those of you who don't already know about this crazy snowfall let me just tell you... There was snow, and it fell, and it just didn't stop. We closed Blue Mountain on account of too much snow, which has never happened before as far as I know. The roads were all closed, the plowmen were working quadruple overtime and we were trapped in a winter-wonderland. Matt and I had gone home this past weekend to play at an AIDS awareness concert and we were scheduled to head back on Sunday. Sunday came along and the snow was blowing pretty good, so I took the advice of many and decided to wait it out.
Needless to say, three days later, and two exams later the wind finally dies down and we decide to make a break for the sun. We load up the car and hit the back roads because 26 is shut down. As we're traveling along airport road a big truck comes up the hill towards us. It was one of those situations where the grooves in the road where the snow had been worn down and you were expected to drive in, yeah those grooves, well they were pretty well in the middle of the road. I pull out of the grooves to give this truck space to get by and my little cavalier loses traction and starts to slide.. I look over at Matt and say, "So when we get back do you maybe want to hit up McDonalds or something?" He responds, "Nahh man. I've been looking after myself lately and I've got to keep this thing in pristine condition.."

..

It actually sounded a bit more like, "We're going to crash dude.." followed by more swerving, and eventually ending in my car face first in a big snow bank. We laugh a bit (nervously..) and I flick on the windshield wipers to fling off the mountain of snow. We reverse back onto the road and begin driving again. At this point I still have the equivalent of Blue Mountain piled up on the hood of my car (and like it's counterpart it was also closed to skiers this day) and everything just hit me. I lost control of that car.. Could have easily spun the other way and lost my bro. He wouldn't let me stop tho so we kept going.

Only to arrive at school and here one professor say, "If I had my way I'd fail you!" Fair enough.
People bug me.

If I don't see you beforehand, have a merry Christmas :)
Also, give Matt a hug (He'll love it)
Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment